How to Sue for Birth Injuries in North Stonington, CT

Has your baby suffered birth injuries in North Stonington, CT? You’re not the only new parent in this situation.

Research shows that six to eight injuries occur per 1,000 births on average every year in the United States.

If you’ve experienced medical negligence that resulted in birth injuries, you can file a lawsuit. Let’s examine how to sue for birth injuries in North Stonington, CT.

Contact an Attorney and File a Letter

The first step in filing a birth injury lawsuit is to contact an attorney who specializes in birth injuries.

Once you’ve scheduled a consultation and built a relationship with the attorney, the attorney may try to seek compensation from the allegedly at-fault doctor for your injuries before they formally file a lawsuit. They will do this by sending the doctor a demand letter.

The demand letter will give your reason for believing the physician caused your child’s birth injury. It will also give the amount of compensation your baby will need due to the alleged medical malpractice.

If your baby needs costly medical care, the doctor might refuse to compensate you. In this situation, filing a lawsuit may be necessary.

File the Suit

When you’re ready to file a suit, your attorney will file your case in court. You will be the plaintiff. The doctor and other staff involved in your child’s birth will be the defendants.

Once the court processes the suit, the defendants will be notified they’re being sued. After this, the trial process can begin.

Complete the Negotiation or Trial Process

Your attorney will gather the following types of evidence to help you prove your case involving birth injuries:

  • Medical experts’ accounts
  • Hospital bills
  • Medical documents indicating your baby’s injuries

After both you and the defendants have prepared your case, you can try to settle with the doctor. In this case, the doctor will pay you an agreed-to amount, and the legal action will stop. This is a quick way to resolve your case.

If you can’t settle the case, you will take it to trial. A jury and judge will listen to arguments from you and the other party before deciding on your case.

The benefit of going to trial is that you might receive a higher compensation award than you would during settlement if you win.

How We Can Help with Birth Injuries

If your child has suffered birth injuries, you should contact an attorney right away. They can send a letter to the reportedly at-fault doctor where they request compensation for your child.

If this doesn’t work, they can file a medical malpractice claim. You can then try to settle the case or take it to trial.

At Levin, Rojas Camassar & Reck, we have years of experience helping parents and their injured children receive compensation for birth injuries. Get in touch with us to learn more about our services, and book a consultation now!

Contact Us

Main Contact Form
Scroll to Top